Rebecca122

Becca's Bursting Bookshelf

I love all things books, especially young adult. Talking about fictional characters and interesting worlds makes me all kinds of happy.

In the After
Demitria Lunetta
The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 2)
Rick Riordan
All Our Yesterdays
Cristin Terrill

Great

Through the Ever Night - Veronica Rossi

I was really eager to get my hands on this after reading and loving Veronica Rossi's debut novel, Under the Never Sky. I have to say, though, that I strongly dislike this cover. Perry doesn't actually look like this; at least, that's not how he's described. The guy on the cover looks like a normal, modern dude with jeans and a haircut. Perry is supposed to have dark skin with longish hair and . . . and . . . this just isn't right. Ugh.

Moving on to the actual content of the novel, I really loved it as a whole. It was interesting to follow along with Perry in his chapters, watching him try to be a good Blood Lord and make good decisions for his people. Part of me thinks that he really didn't grasp all the responsibility involved before he took on the role after killing her brother. But what I love about Perry is that he's so good. So honorable, so kind, so flawed (in a good way). Aria, too, tries to do her best at everything she's on a mission to do, and I like her, but I don't feel as strongly about her as Perry or some of the other characters. I don't really have a valid reason as to why.

Roar was an excellent character in Through the Ever Night. I loved him to pieces. But I think his tragic relationship with Liv will touch me on a deeper level if I get around to reading the novella about them, which I intend to do at some point. Around the middle of the book, Perry questions Roar's feelings towards Aria, and whether or not those feelings could possibly be romantic. I was a bit irked by this, but then, I'm also a hypocrite because that was a worry in the back of my mind as well. I needn't have worried, however, because the two remained friends, as they should.

I appreciated the loyalty between Aria and Perry, as they spend quite a lot of time away from each other in TTEN. Maybe about 70% of the book apart? And I thought I sensed a love triangle in the midst of brewing, but Perry had the good sense to tell Kirra (that lady I hate) to take a hike. I liked that this book didn't rely on romance to drive the plot, but I can't help wishing Aria and Perry had more time together. Hopefully, this will be so in the series conclusion, Into the Still Blue.

The world-building, as it was before, is great. I loved the Aether, the descriptions of the tribes and everything else. Veronica Rossi has a really nice, solid writing style that's easy to go along with. I usually prefer first person point of view, but I don't mind it so much in these books. The boy who can control, or use (not completely sure) the Aether, Cinder, is much more important to the plot than I thought at first. I suspect he will have a large role in the third novel. I look forward to seeing all these characters again, in 2014 (sigh), to see how everything goes for them.

4.5 stars