Rebecca122

Becca's Bursting Bookshelf

I love all things books, especially young adult. Talking about fictional characters and interesting worlds makes me all kinds of happy.

In the After
Demitria Lunetta
The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 2)
Rick Riordan
All Our Yesterdays
Cristin Terrill
What's Left of Me - Kat Zhang

When I first saw this book, I really wasn't that interested. I'm not sure why, the summary sounds interesting enough. Maybe I was just really excited about other new releases at the time and just didn't really want to concentrate on something new. But I was actually really exited when I got it, because it sounded a little like The Host, which I loved.

When I saw the cover on Goodreads, I thought it was okay. But for some reason when I had the actual book and got to look at it, I discovered that the cover is absolutely gorgous.

I think it takes real talent to write a story about two people in one body, give them both separate personalities, separate thoughts, feelings and choices. The author had to have some issues with when to write "I" and "she", and keep everything straight. But I never got confused, everything was explained very clearly in an easy to understand way.

Both Addie and Eva stole my heart in different ways. Their relationship was so heart-warming, the way they spoke to each other and considered each other. They truly loved each other. I think, after a time, it would be easy to start resenting the other person in your head for never going away, never fading, never giving you a moment to yourself. And even though they fought, they were just . . . good to each other.

I didn't get teary or anything when I read this, but it made me so sad to think of Eva. To be able to think, feel, hear and see, but be unable to move the body she's in. To be totally caged like that. It would be enough to make someone go insane, really.

The pacing of this novel was really good. I never really got bored, I always wanted to know what happened next. I thought the author introduced the facts of her world in a way that wasn't too much or too little at any one time. It was very good world-building, which, in a dystopian novel, is absolutely essential.

The characters all had a personality of their own. Though there are fifteen children in the institution Addie and Eva are sent to and we only get to know a few, the ones we did know really came to life. None of them really fell flat.

What's Left Of Me was so much better than I expected it to be, and I loved, loved, loved it. I cannot wait for the sequel.