Rebecca122

Becca's Bursting Bookshelf

I love all things books, especially young adult. Talking about fictional characters and interesting worlds makes me all kinds of happy.

In the After
Demitria Lunetta
The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 2)
Rick Riordan
All Our Yesterdays
Cristin Terrill
Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side  - Beth Fantaskey

This is kind of one of those books that I saw getting popular back with it first came out; many good reviews were popping up in the book community, and yet I continued to overlook it. I didn't even both to read the summary very closely. I was that certain I would dislike it based on the cover and title alone. In my defense, the title is a little misleading. It's different and makes the reader think that the book will be a light, quick vampire story. It was completely by chance that I saw it at a little used bookstore and decided to examine it more closely. To my great surprise, it actually sounded kind of interesting so I sat down and read the first few chapters. I continued to like it, so I bought it and stayed up half the night to finish.

There was something seriously addicting about this novel; I never wanted to put it down, always very eager to see how it would end. So I guess I could say that my favorite thing about Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side would be the pacing. It's not on the short side, nor is it particularly long; rather, it tells exactly what it needs to and ends at a satisfying point. Though I did like how it ended, I'm still very excited to pick up the sequel and see what the author has in store for these people.

Honestly, I loved Jessica's character. She was just a normal teenage girl in the start of the book, and of course she evolves by the end - what with finding out she's a vampire princess and all - but at the same time, she remains much the same in many ways. She reminded me a little of Meghan from the Iron Fey series; she, too, found out she was a princess (a faerie one, but still). Both of them grow up on a farm, as well. Jessica did have moments here and there where she acted kind of stupidly - though she stands up to her love interest a bit, she doesn't do it often enough.

Lucius (I just recently learned how to pronounce his name, by the way) immediately had my attention from the first time he showed up. Of course, the reader is already aware of what he his and his purposes, but he changes throughout the book almost as much as Jessica does. He bounces back and forth between one extreme to the other, and I kind of felt like he should have a big hug. The chemistry with Jessica (a.k.a. Anastasia) definitely wasn't lacking; there are some steamy moments here, and they were well written and much appreciated. And the letters he writes to his uncle are hilarious. Fantaskey's version of a vampire was interesting. I like the way she built her world with the royalty aspect, but at the same time, I'm confused about how the undead can have children (but then, I'm still confused about that aspect of Twilight, so.).

I wasn't extremely fond of the side characters - I've heard that Mindy starts narrating some of the time in Jessica Rules the Dark Side, and I have to admit that I was none too thrilled with that. She was an okay character, but I'm not so sure I want to see the story through her eyes. I did, however, enjoy the relationship Jessica had with her parents, and the conflicts brought about by Faith and Jake. I was pretty surprised by the novel took towards the end - I don't want to spoil anything, but I'll say I was surprised that who I thought would be the main villain of the book turned out not to be. Overall, I'm just going to go with the classic saying - don't judge a book by its cover (or its title, for that matter), because I'm really glad I picked this up.

4 stars